Chikmagalur Surprise


The name sounded very strange when heard from my friends about and did not expect it to be so beautiful. Usually I would sleep all the time when I am travelling and the journey is more than an hour, irrespective of the time taken to reach the destination. But my Chikmaglur trip was a surprise to me. I did not sleep at all while we were on our way to Chikmagalur. Except the time we took to reach the foothills and started driving up to the hills. I got up when I heard my friend screaming ‘We are in Switzerland’.

Though we were not in Switzerland but it was certainly beautiful. It is not that I have never been to a hill station. But it seemed way different from other hilly terrains to me. Chikmagalur is a small hill station located in Indian state of Karnataka. It is famous for coffee estates, falls and small temples, and of course for its pleasant weather. It is one of the major tourist spots in Karnataka and worth visiting.

There is another thing that amused me the most. All over India mantras are chanted in Sanskrit but a temple in Chikmangalur named ‘Hiremagalur temple’ is famous for mantras which are chanted in ‘Kannada’ which is local language of this state.

Categories: Share

Leave a Reply